Wednesday, August 4, 2010

When life hands you lemons...

In light of the fact that lavender is known for it's soothing, calming qualities, I vote the saying should be, "When life hands you lemons, make Lavender Lemonade."  Or you could just go straight for the hard liquor. 
Among the things that conjure up summer, lemonade is one that's high on my list.  I love the classic- you know the kind you would've sold for $.25 at a makeshift stand, hoping to make a few dollars that would decidedly make you 'rich!!"- but I also believe that putting a spin on the classics can be just as refreshing.  Enter, Lavender Lemonade.  This updated bev is gonna cost ya a little more than $.25, but it is 2010 and lavender is slightly more sophisticated than say the striped bendy straw the 8 year old version of you would've subbed for a garnish.  Feel like getting a little punchy?  I imagine a hit of a citrus spirit would do the trick!
 
 Lavender Lemonade
* 2 cups sugar
* 5 sprigs lavender (stems and buds), plus additional for garnish
* 2 cups fresh lemon juice (from about 10 lemons)
* 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (from about 4 limes)

Directions:
In a large saucepan, bring one gallon of water and the sugar to a boil. Remove from heat; add 7 lavender sprigs and lemon and lime juices. Cool to room temperature, strain, and chill. Serve on ice, with additional lavender for garnish.

Enjoy! (And feel free to add striped bendy straw if you must)

{via Sunday Suppers}
this free bird said...

This is my MOST FAVE DRINK EVER!!! I drink it all the time!!! xoxo - C

bananas. said...

i just got refreshed and revibed reading this! lavender is my absolute favorite scent!!!

Overlooking Mississippi said...

love sunday suppers..they have beautiful photography and recipes..I like your blog header!

Elisa said...

This is the second time I hear about lavender lemonade. I LOVE love the picture with the glasses and lavender.

Post a Comment