Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Food Adventures {A summer night and Tomato and Watermelon Salad}

Being outside when the seasons start to change has always been something that's just My Cup of Te.

Whether it is Winter thawing into spring or Summer fading into Fall, I can't fill my lungs with enough delicious FRESH air.

With tonight's lows dropping into the 60's (yippee!), I'm calling it a summer night that demands a cookout, refreshing WHITES,and the best of summer's in-season harvest.

I salivated over this recipe one morning last week and somehow managed with sleepy eyes to quickly JOT it down before rushing off to start my day.  Tonight... It will be on my plate! 

Tomato and Watermelon Salad
3 or 4 small to medium heirloom tomatoes, in assorted colors, cored and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
1 small English or regular cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 cup 3/4-inch-cubed yellow or red seedless watermelon flesh
1 Hass avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
Juice of 1 lime
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon chopped mixed fresh herbs, in any combination: basil, tarragon, chives, and cilantro
1/4 teaspoon coriander seed
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Chop, toss, and enjoy! 

{Note: It's impossible for me not to make recipes more My Cup of Te so the recipe above is a combination Marcus Samuelsson and Epicurious}
Gorgeous Glam said...

Wow I have to try this, it sounds amazing with jalepeno! xoxo

jenn from midlife modern said...

That sounds refreshing and delicious! And now is the prime time for both watermelons and tomatoes. Love the picture on the right!

this free bird said...

This is one of my faves too. Way back in blog beginning I think I posted a version, but not w/jalapeno! I have a splitting headache...maybe this would help? Looks sooooo good.

xoxo,
Carrie

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! Who would have thought, tomato and watermelon! XX!

erica said...

wow that looks divine!!!

xo

meg fee said...

oh it looks like absolute perfection. and yes, you are so right, there is nothing, NOTHING better than the changing of the seasons!!

Unknown said...

This sounds like heaven on a plate! YUM!

milk tea + polkadots said...

Mmm...I love watermelon and tomatoes. Never had them together though. Sounds delicious! I haven't had enough watermelon this summer. Gotta get some before it gets too cold out!

Post a Comment