Friday, June 22, 2012

Our Marriage and Trying New Things

Half the time I'm traveling and the other half there are long days that usually turn into working nights. It's exhausting and truthfully on most days all we can manage are a few inquiries about the other's day before bedtime.


I was inspired by Shoko to do something about what can quickly become a lackluster routine so at least once a month and more if we can manage, Alan and I have decided to make a fuss about trying something new together! The only rule- restaurants don't count. We eat all the time anyways!

This comes on the heels of nothing groundbreaking, just an effort by two people who work (a.lot.) to be better together! We kicked off our adventures on Sunday with a long bike ride around Central Park.

Neither one of us had ever ridden bikes there (Alan had never even been!) so it really was quite exciting for us both! The park was bustling with activity and we made stops along the way to really soak up our surroundings. The sun peaked out eventually but even in a gray overcast the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir was breathtaking.

Alongside the tree-lined Tranverse Road, a violinist was playing beautiful Sunday hymns. Rejoice. Rejoice. Emmaa-anuel. Of course we parked it for a few to listen!

Alan thought it would be a good idea to add a video to each "adventure" post in the series so here goes, if you like! I was a little shy in front of the passersby (and you!) but hopefully I'll get better :) Have you ever done anything to help better a relationship in your life? Did it work? Let's compare notes! 


p.s. For reasons beyond what I can come to fathom, Alan has taken to calling me Rocky. Did you notice? Awesome.
Unknown said...

I can already tell I am going to love this series. The video is too cute and I love hearing both your voices! Michael and I are trying to do the same thing since it's usually all we can muster to sit on the couch in front of a rerun of The Office. This weekend is a double whammy: cooking lesson on Saturday and Cirque du Soleil on Sunday! Have a good one :) xx

Allyson [Mimosas in the Morning] said...

Such a nice post! I should definitely try this with my boyfriend, it is so easy to get caught up in everything else than each other.

Becca - Rebecca Atwood Designs said...

I LOVE this idea! Steve and I are also both so busy...this sounds like a fun idea to make sure you don't get stuck in a routine.

Shannon said...

I love this! With me just starting a business (it launched Wednesday!) and my husband who is a CPA and works long hours we always try to spend time together when we can. He usually still has a little work to do when he gets home so we always try to hit the gym in the morning together or when he gets home from work. It takes work because we are usually both so tired but we enjoy it!

www.dylandrake.blogspot.com
www.drakemen.com

thais said...

you are adorable! and so is the idea of strengthening the relationship ;) I miss having quality time with hubby but having two little girls make it a bit more complicated. hope you have a great weekend ahead !!

Julia D. said...

Such a fun series/idea! Alan is ridiculous for calling you Rocky, haha! How/when did that even start?

Julia D. said...

Such a fun series/idea! Alan is ridiculous for calling you Rocky, haha! How/when did that even start?

Unknown said...

Love love love this series...I totally agree! You definitely have to make an effort to try new things together and spend some quality time! My husband works nights and I work days so trying to see each other is really requires some effort!

XX,

Dominique @ http://comfycozycouture.blogspot.com

Shoko said...

Yay for trying new things! This is fantastic. I'm so glad you were inspired to do this :) And I can't wait for our adventure - whenever that may be!

Unknown said...

love it :)

Donna Benedetto said...

This is a fabulous series!
You have to work at any relationship in life...and carving out quality time is key.
Donna
thebeneblog.com

Danie at Pasadya said...

Ooh my gosh, you are SO cute! The video reminds me of when my dad used to ask me about my favorite things during my day when I was little. Not saying you're little or anything! Just cute. My guy and I are starting to wake up early before work to take time to walk around the neighborhood together. It's so refreshing to start the day together like that. We also love to cook together...neither of us like to cook for the most part, but not having to do it alone makes it fun. :)

Milagros said...

This is a really adorable idea and post. Thanks for keeping it honest about the reality of modern day relationships - balancing it all isn't easy - but thanks for the great idea to break out of the routine!

Post a Comment