Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fashion Week Fall 2010 Sneak Peek Sketches

So I always thought I was good at drawing until I walked into Fashion Drawing 101 my first semester at Parsons. Our professor's name was Roxie Sugar which she "derived" from her real name Pamela Sliger- don't ask. She had great personal style, bursting with energy, and her own line to boot. Despite her positive disposition (and the fact that both our names were Roxy), she could only feign so much enthusiasm when flipping through my sketchbook. I think the best I got was, "Excellent! Great command of angles!" Not too bad right? Well, you should have seen the look on her face when I had to tell her that the only sketch she actually deemed acceptable was one of her own, one that she had drawn to demonstrate to me how it should be done. Don't worry, I let myself bask in her praise for a minute before I reluctantly broke the news, after which she exclaimed, "OH! No wonder I like it!" Priceless.

When it comes to being creative, I believe practice only gets you so far. Either you have it or you don't. She had it, and I'm okay with the fact that in that moment I definitely did not! Here are some Fall 2010 Sneak Peek sketches from people who SO HAVE IT.

Designer: Fetherston
What to expect for Fall: "Slightly edgier. Bohemian Rock Poetess. Inspired by Nico and The Velvet Underground. Velvet."
Via: Glamour.com

Designer: Nanette Lepore
What to expect for Fall: "Iridescent coppers. Colors inspired by Avatar. Inspiration from a Renaissance portrait of a woman in floaty sleeves and bias-cut ruffles."
Via:WSJ

Designer: Obvi.
What to expect for Fall: "Inspired by the glorious image of the Cosmos combined with the warrior attitude of Mad Max."
Via: Instyle.com

Designer: Obvi.
What to expect for Fall: "Playful Prep" (Coming from Tommy, also obvi)
Via: Instyle.com

Designer: Rebecca Taylor
What to expect for Fall: "A mixture of 70's Parisian attitude and an urban New York City girl. Cashmere Wool. Leopard faux furs. Down quilted coats."
Via:WSJ

Designer: Tracy Reese
What to expect for Fall: "Eclectic mix of urban and rural. Rustic Prince of Wales checks. Distressed Fur. Stretch suede. Cosmetic tone lingerie. Cozy Alpaca sweaters."
Via:WSJ

Designer:Elie Tahari
What to expect for Fall: "An homage to the great women who traveled the globe in style."
Via:WSJ

Designer: Milly
What to expect for Fall: "Artsy. Chic girls from Paris' La Rive Gauche. Luxe fabrics. Clever techniques. Cool attitude."
Via:WSJ