Monday, July 12, 2010

Food Adventures: Seoul

One of the best ways to experience a new culture is to eat it!! Seoul cuisine is full of fresh veggies, seaweed, spicy chilis, and the traditional drink (if you dare to drink out of a shot glass as regularly as you do a water glass) soju.  Here are a few pics of my Korean food adventures...

 Rice ball with seaweed seasoning

My brother teaches English in Korea.  I haven't seen him in almost a year so I demanded I be taken on the "Lawrence" tour or basically a day in his life as an American teacher living abroad!  Gimbab Sarang, basically sushi but with cooked fish and various veggies, is something he has for lunch several times a week because for one dollar it's quite filling and not too bad!

My favorite!  Pork with spicy kimchi and fresh veggies on a grill plate.  I was sweating bullets after this one, but I couldn't stop!

Another one of my brother's favorite dishes- omelet stuffed with fried rice served with fried pork and kimchi

 Korean bbq!  Also a fave, as you can see we had it several times, but what wasn't?  The headmaster of my brother's school took all of us out to lunch as a welcome gesture!  Korean bbq is served with all kinds of tapas like dishes that include kimchi (of course), pickled radish, bean sprouts, different varieties of lettuce, and dipping sauces. MMM

I fully embraced this tradition ;)
And soju!  Soju is a traditional Korean spirit that is typically served at most meals.  Personally I think it tastes like vodka, but I may be biased to my poison of choice, and it's drank all throughout dinner just as water or any other beverage.  One thing to remember: Do not pour your own shot (apparently, it's bad luck) and never shall a shot glass go empty (also bad luck).  Crazy, right? But. Oh. So. FUN! 

More to come on my international adventures!! 
Cheers!
klandesteen said...

Wow, the food looks awesome and it sounds like you had a lot of fun. I'm so envious!

thais said...

it all looks so yummy! gonna have to get up and eat :)

My Owl Barn said...

Those rice balls look delicious!

Anonymous said...

KBBQ is DELICIOUS. I seriously crave it even after immediately eating it. Must go again soon.

PearlsAndGreenTea said...

Dude..you're making me hungry!! I love these pics! I go to the Philippines way more than Korea, just coz my parents live there. I haven't been to Korea in like 4 years. Would love to go back soon...

http://pearlsandgreentea.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment