Thursday, October 7, 2010

Be Kind

 {Wise words from Etsy}


I'm sure you've all heard the about the Rutgers student, Tyler Clementi, who took his life because he was bullied by his roommate.  They've been talking about it everywhere from Dancing with the Stars, to Ellen, and even to AC 360 who will be featuring bullying all week.  It breaks my heart to think of how needless this all is and how it all could have been very easily prevented.

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest 
compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."

{All you need is love! My brother teaches English to little ones in Korea, and he likes to keep us posted on his international adventures!}
I try to be the best I can be everyday, but I know I'm not always perfect. If I'm honest, I've been on both sides, of bullying that is. When I lose sight of things and find my priorities in a scramble, I have a go to poem (if you can have a "go to" as such!) whose pages are worn and is bookmarked in one of my most favorite books. I re-discovered said book on a rainy day at a bookstore in the West Village during a time when I was really just beginning to discover myself. The poem is called A Prayer for Everyday, and it's kinda beautiful just like that day.  I wanted to share it with you in hopes you'll take it to heart.  For yourself. And for people like Tyler.
    Make me too brave to lie or be unkind.
    Make me too understanding, too, to mind
    The little hurts companions give, and friends,
    The careless hurts that no one quite intends.
    Make me too thoughtful to hurt others so.
    Help me to know....
    The inmost hearts of those for whom I care,
    Their secret wishes, all the loads they bear,
    That I may add my courage to their own.
    May I make lonely folks feel less alone,
    And happy ones a little happier yet.
    May I forget.....
    What ought to be forgotten; and recall
    Unfailing, all.....
    That ought to be recalled, each kindly thing,
    Forgetting what might sting.
    To all upon my way,
    Day after day,
    Let me be joy, be hope! Let my life sing!
     
    Who wants a hug? Happy Thursday, loves! Be Kind to someone today...it's almost the weekend :)
Islandia Lane said...

very nice thoughts. and sometimes I have to stop and think myself... why can't everyone just be nice, be kinda and move on in their today. I do admit I've also been on both sides but that's being honest, I think everyone has. It's easy to be mean, a stronger person is the one who lets the things go that shouldn't be said and even through that they still have something nice to say. I have to remind myself that everyday.

Gorgeous Glam said...

That's a great poem doll, thanks for sharing! Being kind is definitely a choice that we must make everyday, so many grouches out there especially here in L.A. traffic! xo

Jenni@Story of My Life said...

What a wonderful post! I truly enjoyed this, and I'm going to save that poem. Thank you so much for sharing this! :)

Unknown said...

GREAT POST GIRL! <3

PearlsAndGreenTea said...

I just read about this story today. So unfortunate! Thanks for sharing this uplifting poem! I've definitely been on both sides of bullying myself...it's so ugly.

Post a Comment