Tuesday, April 10, 2012

NYC Apartment Update

I've had this photo saved in my archives for a while now so you can imagine the sheer joy when I found a vintage 1950s sputnik chandelier on an Ebay auction starting at 9.99 when they usually cost thousands.

Then you can also imagine my utter devastation when I forgot about it on my watch list due to this past weekend's celebrations and open up my browser to this screenshot. It sold for a mere $152.  I lost sleep over it. Alan called me stupid for losing sleep over lighting. Do I have a kindred spirit out there?!



On a brighter note, I wanted this gorgeous green over-dyed rug but at $4000 it was about as likely as pigs flying. It does get brighter...

Then I found this hand-knotted, wool, antique Turkish rug, 8 x 10 for less than most people spend on food monthly. Who needs to eat when you have a fabulous rug, right? Kidding! Per Naomi's advice, I think we're going to have it picked up to be over-dyed by a company here in the city. It's more cost effective, believe it or not, and they offer a bajil shades!

Want to see more? You can see a sneak peek of my new (!) custom drapes here and my Duchesses here. More to come!
Carly Haslee said...

A very happy birthday to the hubby! This weekend sounded fabulous. And I would have absolutely lost sleep over that so tell him you are not alone :) I think it's a sign that you are going to find something even better! The updates are looking fabulous! I adore everything and you! xo

Julie and Lauren said...

Oh no! That chandeleir is pretty amazing, but you'll find a new one! Happy BDay to your man! X

Deanna Pai said...

Loveee the carpet (and totally understand why you'd lose sleep over lighting--I once had a bout of insomnia because I missed a James Perse sample sale). Such a good idea to overdye it yourself!

Can't wait for more updates about your apartment. I'm moving into a studio in May and am so excited to decorate!

chedva said...

I totally sympathize, Roxy! I've lost sleep over ebay more times than I care to admit. On the bright side, your rug idea is brilliant and your curtains are ah-mazing.

allergic to vanilla said...

You are major classy, doll! That lighting fixture is fantastic, and it really is too bad you forgot about it. :( But things happen for a reason, I'm sure something similar will come up!

x carlina
allergictovanilla.com

My-cliffnotes said...

Love this, esp the rug!
Tab
my-cliffnotes.blogspot.com

Albertina said...

sad about the lamp...but happy for your rug....I'm sure it will come out super cool! Can't wait for the finished result.

lemondropdreams said...

I understand...I would've lost sleep too! Love that floral fabric, gorgeous!!

{The Design Daredevil} Jessie D. Miller said...

Oh my gosh.......I'm obsessed with the Spud chandy. I'm so sorry for your lose :-(

Can't wait to see your apartment!!!

Sara Grace said...

But seriously - I'd sacrifice a meal or seven for that gorgeous rug! http://adventuresofdutchandme.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment