Friday, April 20, 2012

The Truth about High Point Market


At the beginning of the month, I decided on a whim to show a few of my designs at High Point Market for the very first time.

Among all the other things that go into showing, I immediately contacted my brilliant graphic designer to put together an "invitation." Her designs always make me smile and never fail to make me feel like I'm putting Society Social's best foot, rather face, forward. Not to mention we are so in sync, I swear she can read my mind! Despite having a pretty invitation to send out to the world, I held on to it. My mom took the liberty of sending it to a press room where it's probably sitting with a bajil others, "safely" hidden under stacks, but as for me, I didn't tweet it. I didn't blog it. I didn't instagram or even Facebook it.  For all that know me, that is comparable to the grass being blue and the ocean green. As a small business, new no less, with minimal funds for heavy duty advertising and PR, I know I must be on top of my social media game to even have a fighting chance.

As I vacuumed up the showroom yesterday and placed my finishing touches, old friends popped in for a surprise visit. I gushed about how excited I was, enthusiastically showed them around, but when it came to the question, "Well, do you have many visits lined up?" my answer was (pause), "I guess I haven't really told anyone."

It was the first time I said it out loud and the first time I let myself realize that the reason for my  "silence" is a simple truth-- fear. It sounded sheepish when I said it. It sounds silly even as I type it, and I can't help feeling embarrassed, but keeping it to myself eased the anxiety. If nobody knows, then I can't be too devastated if nobody shows up. If nobody knows, then writing even one order will be a victory. Then there's the matter of people liking my designs and styling, what if I can't pull it off to my own standards? I mean, I think most companies have their own team of designers and stylists to plan out each vignette, some working 6 months in advance to complete a showroom. (I've only been in business 8!) Although I have more support than I could ever ask for and be grateful for, it's more of a DIY operation, and how exactly are you supposed to style a space with just 6 bar carts and 8 chairs? I was terrified that it would look like a game of drunken musical chairs. Fun for sure ;), but definitely not first impression material.

After our visitors left, I resumed vacuuming and thinking, of course. A few rooms later, I came to the conclusion that shamefully enough, I let my fear of failure paralyze me so much so that I didn't even send out my market invitation.  Have you ever done that to yourself? Have you ever talked yourself down to a degree where even trying seems scary? It makes me sad that I let myself do that to myself. Yes, all on my own. I have a husband who supports me, my family who believes in me, friends who are still my friends even if I hardly have time to play, and all of you who have been incredibly wonderful and encouraging all along the way. I have no excuse.

Market officially starts tomorrow, and even though it's a little, okay way late, I want to finally share my little invite. (above) Hosting Society Social is Acacia Home & Garden, a company that is more dear to my heart than you can imagine, and you can find a few of my bar carts in their beautiful showroom situated right beside the Pavilions.  Of course if you're at High Point Market, and of course only if you would like to stop by.

So my new sign is slightly crooked and in my attempts to correct it, the "g" is missing, but that's okay because I am doing what I love with the people that I love, and that is enough  :) And also because we're southern, "introducin'" is totally acceptable. Right? Right!
Sadie + Stella said...

Good luck today! Wish I could make it. You will be fabulous as always!

christin said...

Congratulations! Those invitations are amazing, your designer is the bomb. Also, yes, introducin' is 100% acceptable. You know what they always say "know your audience"

Albertina said...

I bet you are going to do really well!!! With your beautiful pieces and great eye for design I am sure your space looks beautiful and everyone will be intrigued to visit. To all that add your charming personality and that takes you down the road of success. It will be great!

Marisa/Stylebeat said...

SHOUT IT OUT to the world girl! People need to know you are there to discover you! I will come by mais oui! Tweet and FB it so the hordes can order!
x Stylebeat

Anonymous said...

You have NOTHING to be embarrassed about - your line is fresh, fun & current for the market place! No need to hide in the background ~ I agree; shout out your arrival! I'm so glad you are officially "introducin" SS to the furniture world at HP ~ the South & the entire country are gonna love your designs! Trust me!

{The Design Daredevil} Jessie D. Miller said...

Roxy I procrastinate out of fear ALL THE TIME! I can 100% relate to you. Show em what you got sista! I know you will be ON POINT at HIGH POINT!

Your Southern Peach said...

Wishing you the best of luck and yes, I can totally relate to keeping things to yourself because of fear of failure.

You'll be a smashing success for sure! Have fun and enjoy yourself.

Cheers,

Amy

samantha ramage said...

you're adorable. i often have that same fear and self sabotage by slowing down rather than racing through the finish line without looking back. it's hard to have confidence sometimes. but you have a great eye and a great little brand. you should be proud! wish i could be there to see it!

xo
sami

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

Oh girl, I'm sure you rocked it! I totally relate, as I do the same thing to myself. If I were there, I would totally visit you. Plus, I'm dying to see your lovely designs in person. Someday!

Jen of MadeByGirl said...

Hope you h ad a blast & that you did well! woo hoo! :))

Madebygirl.blogspot.com
MadeByGirl.com

Mr. Baxter Brown said...

This was my favorite post yet! I can SO relate to everything you are saying! I constantly wait until the last minute - and hold myself back based on fear. But you are a total inspiration - you have built an amazing company is such a short period of time. Sky is truly the limit. Your honesty helps the rest of us mere mortals - so keep it up and can't wait to hear of more of your success!

designstiles said...

Aw, I don't know why this made me tear up. Probably because I can completely relate. You did it! And you keep doing it. It sounds so cheesy of me to say, but as someone who has been reading your blog before you started SS, I'm proud.

Your stuff rocks, for real!

Stephanie Scarpa said...

Love that picture :)

Love
S / http:// mydarlingsolitude.blogspot.com

mikky said...

I completely get where you are coming from. I get the same way, so thank you for writing this. It`s nice to know that other people go thru the same stuff! Hope your booth rocked it!(and that you do a follow up post on it now that the event is over)
btw, from reading your blog you have nothing to fear! You`ve been doing amazing from where I sit.
:)
mikky
www.todaloos.com

Allyson [Mimosas in the Morning] said...

Believe in yourself Roxy because we all admire you and believe in you!! Congratulations. Think of all you have overcome to get here! Xoxo

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

Hi there cutey! Just finding the blog, although been lusting after SS bar carts and caftans for "like" ever. So excited to follow along now :)

Bethany

Chimmy said...

it gets the best of all of us! keep doing what you're doing! the bar cart is back and several of us welcome is sparkly lovely return!

Unknown said...

i feel you, seriously! but you are doing what you love & doing it the best you can-- and everyone has loved the end result. you have so much support online!!

xoxo

Post a Comment