Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Food Adventures: Homemade Black Bean Burgers

Veggie burgers have a bad rap, I know, but bikini season is upon us, and do you want to look like a beached whale?
I didn't think so, check it out.

I have to admit, I was a little intimidated and thought this was going to be much harder than it actually was. Thanks to my trusty bullet, dinner was ready in a flash, and good thing because we were sunburnt (okay, not really. I'm Asian. I don't really burn. I tan, don't hate me) and exhausted from a long weekend at the beach.

1. Throw onions, garlic, green peppers, black beans in the bullet and just like the infomercial- pulse once, twice, three times and voila!
2. Beat egg (I recommend two) with cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes and mix into black bean mixture
3. Mix in bread crumbs (double the amount the recipe says if you don't want to end up with mush)
4. Form patties and either grill or bake

Substitute regular crinkle fries with sweet potato crinkle fries, a white starch bun with whole wheat, top with fresh tomatoes and lettuce, and you can give yourself a pat on the back for takin' care of your body and keepin' those muffin tops under control. And while you're at it, don't forget to wash down with a glass (or 3) of delicious red wine- they say it's good for your heart, but who needs an excuse for vino anyways?

For the exact recipe- see here.
lawrence said...

holy crap these look amazing!!!

Lindsey said...

I LOVE BB burgers!! WIll have to try this recipe! Thnx 4 sharing!!

Linda said...

mmmmh.. it look so delicious!!! ;)

alison (semi-fab lane) said...

i'm gonna try this-i've seen a recipe similar but thought how good could black beans be-it looks good.

Post a Comment