Friday, June 21, 2013

2 Days, 4 Planes, and What to Carry-On


Thank goodness for the kindness of strangers. I pleaded with the man across the aisle as I hyperventilated and sobbed uncontrollably,
"I know this weird and I am so embarrassed and I know we don't know each other, but will you please just talk to me, tell me a story..." as tears streamed down my horror-stricken and anxiety-ridden face. Joseph was a saint. He never questioned my craze and proceeded to tell me all about his current mission trip and his beautiful family-- we talked for hours, or what seemed the amount of time it took for me to act like a normal human being again.

I've been up in the air literally 20+ hours in the past 48 hours and my intense fear of flying long routes solo paired with the building anxiety of everything hit an all time high = mid-flight panic attack. I have to however vouch that I was prepared in every other way, aside from emotionally, ha. Here are a few things that make travel a breeze (as long as you are not a basket case, like me)...

Evian Hydrating Spray. (Linked is TSA approved!) I remember seeing mom mist this on her face for the first time when I was a little girl on our first international family vaca. The high altitudes aka low humidity environment can dry out your skin and a spritz of this every few hours keeps you fresh and dewy!

Neutrogena Cleansing Wipes. I can't stand the thought of make-up sitting on my face overnight, but small travel bottles always seem to burst mid-air making a mess of my cosmetic bag. Make-up removal wipes aren't as messy and you don't have to wash your face in a crowded airport bathroom or the smallest airplane bathroom, like, ever.

Ole Henriksen 3 little wondersThe pots are small enough to easily stash in your carry-on and include truth serum, night gel, sheer transformation...add in the ultimate eye gel. You're ready for take-off.  Wheels up! (And when you land you won't look like Frankenstein's bride).

Snacks. Bring a variety in the case that eating ground beef out of a paper tray doesn't whet your appetite. I didn't think so. I brought a whole box of Fiber One cereal bars and Joseph's pastor took pity on me after my meltdown and passed a chocolate bar up to my seat :) Here are great suggestions by The Huffington Post.

Ear buds. So you don't have to use those uncomfortable standard ones that the airline passes out. And so at least Melissa McCarthy can make you laugh after you hit a killer air pocket that results in a 20 foot mid-air free fall and the simultaneous shaking of the plane like it is about to snap in half aka another contributing factor to said meltdown.

Extra Socks. Your feet can get really cold up there! An extra pair of socks, especially if you choose to wear sandals or open toed shoes, are so clutch.

Sleeping Mask and Neck Pillow. When crossing multiple time zones everything seems out of whack and I often don't feel like eating when the food and drinks trolleys come through. I always bring a sleeping mask so I can sneak in uninterrupted ZZZ's whenever I please. A neck pillow seals the deal.

Viber. Download this app before jet setting off! It's been amazing. I can talk to Alan and all my friends state side for free avoiding outrageous roaming charges, as long as there is Wifi, which most airports have these days.

Comfy summer sweaters. Remember this one? I wore it the whole way, basically presentable pajamas for chilly airports and planes, annnnd I was told I look like "a designer." I'll take it.

Do you have any expert travel tips? Please share! And to Joseph out there, I will never forget and never be able to thank you enough for your kindness :)

{Image via Taschen}
Hitha said...

I travel all the time and highly endorse your picks! Also bring along a giant scarf to act as a bla met, portable chargers so your devices don't lose their juice, and a paper book or magazine to read during take-off and landing.

Colgate Wisps (to clean your teeth) are also a must-pack - I buy them in bulk!

For TSA-sized bottles that work, check out GoobTubes. I've had mine for years and NEVER had a leak. You can also pack small amounts of liquid for the plane in contact lens cases!

FripperyVintage said...

I just got back from London so logged a lot of air time too. I always bring lots of moisturizer and chapstick. I have an Hermes scarf my dad gave to me years ago and I always pack that because it's surprisingly very warm and great to cover up with or wrap around my neck.

Lindsey Suggs said...

You poor thing!! I hope you are on the ground safe and sound for a while now. I've had a panic attack mid-flight and it was honestly one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. There is some oil that it supposed to help with flying anxiety. If I can remember what it is, I'll let you know! Love your picks too!

Post a Comment