Monday, March 8, 2010

Food Adventures: Baby Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad


I first made this salad for "Girls Night", and it was a hit! This is also the night I fell in love with spicy arugula! I needed a refresher from my regular mixed greens salad, and arugula stepped up and won my heart over. It kind of resembles an undesirable weed, but don't let that fool you- it's high in vitamin A, C, and potassium! Arugula is slightly bitter and known for it's peppery hints so I thought it would best be complemented by a little sweetness!

I started with the typical Arugula and Goat cheese salad, I say "started" because it is simply impossible for me not to alter a recipe to make it more My Cup of Te! Since my objective was to complement spicy and tangy with sweet I added cranberries and sweet basil.

I then took my favorite go-to vinaigrette dressing recipe, and substituted/added a couple of items...

SUBS:
1. Seasoned rice wine vinegar instead of balsamic
2. Cranberry apple mustard (a blend of cranberry, apples, honey,

and turmeric) instead of Dijon
3. Walnuts would've been better, but I had sunflower seeds on hand!
ADDITIONS:
1. A dash of soy sauce (Sounds strange, but I saw Ina do this once,
and it gives the dressing that certain Je ne sais quoi!)

2. Splash of lemon juice


Have you discovered a new food crush? I'd love to hear about it!
Bon Appetit dears!!

image via
(her pic looked better than mine!)

Sniff said...

Looks yummy!

I'm really big on salads, as I don't have to fight my oven (a battle which I usually lose).

Roxy Te said...

I have battle scars from my oven :( We do not get along!!

Unknown said...

Oh hello! You have the most beautiful blog, I'm going to follow you on twitter. You've got my tummy all a rumble with this beautiful salad. I'm such a leaf freak! And with walnuts?! mmmm.....!

I'm bookmarking this post so I can try it out!

Have a fab week xoxo

Linda said...

mmmm very big salad!! it was good??!!
soon!

Lorraine Te said...

yumm, can't wait to try the recipe. nice photo,too

Post a Comment