Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Food Adventures {Pumpkin and Ginger Souffle}

Did I mention that I heart Autumn?

And all things pumpkin?
 
Well as of last week, due to life in general, I had not had time to bake anything pumpkin or even buy a pumpkin.  I had had just about enough of thinking about them (It's kind of like thinking about happy hour all week, but not being able to go, then consuming copious amounts of whatever is on special) and finally caved by way of not just one, but three ways, in one night.  Here's the first of three tasty pumpkin treats...

 {If nothing more than guilt, the miniature crystallized hands of the pounds upon pounds of sugar that I consumed, pulled me out of bed that next morning to go on a 5 mile run along side the Big Dipper} 

Pumpkin Ginger Soufflé

1 1/2 cups unsweetened soymilk, not low- or no-fat
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
4 large egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup solid-pack canned pumpkin
8 large egg whites 

Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter 8 6-ounce ramekins. In medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, bring soy milk to boil. Add ginger, remove pan from heat, cover, and let steep 30 minutes. Strain soy milk, discarding ginger, and set aside.

In large nonreactive bowl, whisk together egg yolks and 6 tablespoons of sugar. Whisk in flour until well combined. Gradually add hot milk, whisking constantly to prevent curdling. Return yolk mixture to saucepan and set over medium heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until custard boils and thickens enough to coat back of a spoon, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to large bowl, whisk in pumpkin purée, and set aside.
Using electric mixer with whisk attachment, beat egg whites until foamy and slightly opaque. With mixer running, add remaining 6 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, then beat until stiff but not dry. Fold 1/3 of egg whites into pumpkin mixture to lighten, then add mixture to remaining whites, folding in gently but thoroughly.
Spoon batter into ramekins, filling almost to top, and lightly run finger around inside rim to create a "moat." Place ramekins in large baking pan. Place baking pan on middle oven rack and add hot water around ramekins to depth of 1 inch. Bake until soufflés have risen well above rim and tops are golden brown, about 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
 {Mom only had 6 ramekins so we used mini "cups of Te!"}

Enjoy!

p.s. It's Hump Day y'all! Doesn't this slouchy chic ensemble look perfect for coasting it thru to the weekend?

{Via Vintage Rose GardenEpicurious and Style Slut} 
jenn from midlife modern said...

YUM! Those came out beautifully, and I love your photos! PS: If I'm counting correctly, I think I may have been your lucky 100th follower, which is super cool! PPS: You're so pretty:)

Truly Smitten said...

looks dee-lish! and gosh, you are SO pretty!

20 YORK STREET said...

Oh my, I mean I can probably muster a pumpkin pie but a pumpkin soufflé?

I'm so impressed!

besos,

Win a Banana Republic Statement Necklace at:

20 YORK STREET

Islandia Lane said...

this so makes me want to go home and cook - they look delish! and souffle? that's not easy! so awesome.

also I want that outfit to live in all weekend - it looks so comfy and totally my style.

bananas. said...

that look is totally fab! if only i were 5 inches taller about 10 lbs lighter!

and i heart your kitchen. that's all!

allergic to vanilla said...

freaking fantastic, I love that it has soy milk in it instead of real milk, that's all I've been drinking lately.

p.s i also hosted a Halloween (party) movie night last year, complete with spooky bites, yummy drinks and a little take away gift for my guests, and a super cheesy movie..haha

xo Carlina
AllergicToVanilla.com

Post a Comment