Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Happy Chinese New Year!

My darling cousins invited Alan and I over for a Chinese New Year dinner after finishing up our move last weekend! 

Growing up we always celebrated Chinese New Year (I'm half Chinese!) with a tradition centered around little red envelopes. Just like these! Mom and Dad would put a couple dollars in them before handing them out to my siblings and I. You're not supposed to spend the money, rather hang on to it for good luck! We fell out of the tradition as we grew up and moved away, but every time I see a crimson colored envelope, I think of this simple family tradition with a smile and a little hope for luck :)

Just for fun...
...fabulous red dresses because it's the color of luck in the Chinese culture,
a fabulous dragon and chinoiserie themed round-up,
and easy Chinese recipes to give the delivery man I break!

{Kate Spade}
Rowena @ rolala loves said...

Happy Chinese New Year! The best part of the holiday is getting together for great food and getting red envelopes. Too bad I don't get the red envelopes anymore now that I'm married but passing them out is fun too.

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

happy new year- looks like a fun feast.

Chelsea C. said...

I love this! Happy Chinese New Year! Someone told me that the Year of the Dragon is all about new ventures and putting new projects into motion. Not sure if it's right, but it sure sounds good. :)

samantha ramage said...

i am half chinese too, my friend!! and we are still doing the envelopes. i had to give them out this year because i got married -- eek!

hope you have a very lucky year!

xoxoxo
sami

Post a Comment